Tuesday 21 April 2015

Social media madness

I have a confession to make. I may have accidentally found myself looking at uni courses earlier this week. It was an accident. I promise! Nevertheless, expect a spate of blog posts as I remind myself that writing is a more fun, cheaper, less stressful, and a more manageable lifestyle choice for me at this point in my life.

See. All written down. And on the internet. So it must be true.

The internet is the point of this post, and more specifically the sudden increase of social media types that I have suddenly found myself using.

I've written before about how much I love Facebook, but in the world BFB (Before Facebook, for those not in the know), I did have a very short affair with Myspace. My Myspace page had a pet pig that belonged to me and a pet tiger that belonged to DB. I still occasionally visit them.

Buglet was highly amused to discover this, when it randomly came up a friend's birthday party. Much to our amusement she promptly opened an account. About two days later she closed it after declaring that she didn't get it. I am pretty sure that this is the 21st century version of messing around on a typewriter for those of us who grew up learning to type on computers, however basic those computers may have been. Black screens with green writing anyone?

In the last two months I have started a Pinterest account, a Twitter account, and an Instagram account. (Links in the side bar. Except to Instagram, I haven't worked out how to add a link to that one yet, but you can find us at @philosophy_minors).

There is a reason for that sudden influx. In February I went to a Progblogger event, and having a profile across multiple platforms was one of the tips I was given. See I can follow instructions!

So far I think Twitter is working well for me, and probably for all my Facebook friends who may have been sick of being spammed by me. From a Philosophy Minors point of view, I am still using the Facebook page for quotes from the Entourage, for stories, and for sharing other people's memes. Twitter is more of a stream of my consciousness. That said, check out #Buglet, #Tink, and #Pixie if you want to find posts relating to the girls. I also use the #lifewithteenagers a lot for posts about the girls. But if you want an insight into the vagueness of my mind and if you enjoy random thoughts that is the place to go. If you do check it out, I will leave it up to you to decide which of the girls' traits come from me!

There has been family interest in the Twitter account. Buglet was totally thrown by the fact I had started one. The Pixie suddenly started offering all sorts of useful tips on how to increase my followers so that I "could beat Buglet". She doesn't have an account, so how she became the Twitter expert I don't know.

Blogging while watching the girls' dance class in my Dance Mum Hoodie
Instagram photo.

Instagram is brand new. I only started the account on Friday. But there will be pictures. Of the Pixie's artwork, of Tink's hairstyles, and lots of food posts because Buglet specifically gave me instructions to not become the sort of person who posts pictures of all her meals. So far I have only posted one in five days so don't let this put you off. I think I have been spending too much time with teenagers. The urge to start an account increased just to be contrary. Annoying my children seems to be a trait I have been developing lately.

That should distract me from studying for a while, right? Updating multiple social media accounts and attempting to not be totally boring takes a quite a lot of effort. I can see why businesses outsource it for time management purposes. So much fun though!

Any thoughts on the most useful social media platforms? What do you find the most fun?

Disclaimer:
  • It is doubtful I am qualified to give parenting advice, there is still time for me to stuff up.
  • I am not qualified to give social media advice.
  • The Pixie is definitely not qualified to give social media advice.
  • I am not even allowed to give legal advice without supervision.
I would recommend finding more reliable sources for any advice of any nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment