Monday 30 March 2015

Days and Knights

Recently I've been trying to encourage Buglet to expand the style of books she is reading. I am a good parent like that.

Buglet was reading a book on Wattpad (something we have a slightly different opinion on), and she asked me who Helen of Troy was. Enter overexcited "I am a historian at heart" moment. It was also a chance to recommend that she read a book that I have really enjoyed: Marian Zimmer Bradley's The Firebrand.

As Buglet seemed quite open to my reading suggestions, and because I was excited about talking about books I enjoy (seriously, don't get me started), I thought I'd recommend a book to Tink as well. Tink and I share a passion for the Arthurian stories. We both enjoy the TV series Merlin, and to quote Tink: "I don't how many times I've read Avalon High". Tink. Not me. I've read it once, or maybe twice. It is a very good YA book. 

(In other news, when I was looking up the link to the book, I just realised it is actually now a series. Tink is going to be very excited when her birthday comes around).

Anyway, the book I recommend to Tink was The Mists of Avalon which is one of my most favourite ever books. She says she is going to read it over the school holidays so I will report back later to see how she enjoys it.

Tink at a Medieval fair

Last night Tink and I had planned to go and see Kingsman: The Secret Service. The Pixie is too little to see it, and it is not Buglet's sort of movie (too much gore). We had been saying we wanted to see it for so long that I couldn't remember why we wanted to see it. I had a vague feeling it was a World War II movie. It wasn't. It was a spy movie where the agents are named after Arthurian characters. How is that for a coincidence?

We both loved the movie. Just in case anyone is interested. Lots of violence and it is very graphic, but the movie is based on a comic book (which I only found out in the closing credits), and it is actually funny. Weird combination really.


Disclaimer:
  • It is doubtful I am qualified to give parenting advice, there is still time for me to stuff up.
  • I am not an expert on medieval history.
  • Book choice is a very personal thing, but I am happy to recommend if you give me a genre.
  • I am not even allowed to give legal advice without supervision.
I would recommend finding more reliable sources for any advice of any nature (except possibly on book choices, but then, please take at your own risk).

No comments:

Post a Comment