The girls (and DB) have wanted a dog for ages. When Buglet was about 8 they had obviously been talking about it because I came home one day to the following proposal: "We need to get a dog, Mummy. You won't need to do a thing. Daddy will walk it, Tink will feed it, I will pick up it's poo, and Pixie will love it very much".
In case you couldn't tell, my argument for not getting a dog had been that I didn't need a pet, I had DB and the girls, and I didn't need something else to look after. I let them practice on crazy crabs, and they were the best looked after crazy crabs in the world.
Later, the girls got a rabbit and the friend who gave them the rabbit got the girls to sign a contract saying they would look after her, which they have done and Misty is a very loved bunny.
DB got a budgie which eventually ended moving in with the girls and me, and we were all devastated when he died.
Then, Flip-Flop came into our lives. A friend of mine put on facebook that she needed to re-home her dog, and I decided it was the right time for us to get a dog. I was a bit nervous about having something else to look after, but it was the best decision I have made for a long time.
Buglet was pretty right with her prediction. The deal with the girls was that if we got a dog, she was going to be their dog and it was their job to look after her, and they do a wonderful job. They feed her and love her and clean up her mess. I walk her (which I knew would happen she is too strong for the girls, but walking her is good for me too), and I feed her when the girls are at their dad's house, and I love her too.
Buglet also got one other thing right. We all love Flip-Flop, but Pixie and Flip-Flop are what we call "puppy-people twins". Since we got her they are inseparable. Tink described it as "it's like they are joined by a lead. Where one goes, the other follows, but I don't know who is holding the lead".
|When you leave them alone for five minutes .....|
- Eating meat: Pixie doesn't think you should eat meat, Flip-Flop disagrees.
- The trampoline: Pixie thinks it is for jumping, Flip-Flip thinks it is for sleeping.
- Shoes: Pixie thinks they are for wearing, Flip-Flop thinks they are for eating (luckily she's mostly grown out of this one).
- Who is the Boss: Pixie thinks she is the boss, Flip-Flop doesn't recognise Pixie as being any more senior in the pack.
- Being a sneaky ninja: Pixie thinks they are sneaky ninjas, Flip-Flop doesn't understand this concept at all (Pixie isn't actually very sneaky either but that is ok).
- Snapping: Flip-Flop doesn't snap, Pixie has started since we've had the dog.
- Licking people: Flip-Flop knows they are puppy kisses, Pixie licks the air at people (this is a good thing!)
Time for me to go! Flip-Flop and I have a Saturday date with the beach!