Saturday 7 June 2014

Let them eat cake!

Today we finally had the Buglet's birthday party with her friends.

We went and saw Maleficent, and we all thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

There were some important life lessons learned though:
  1. Organising a party is hard work when you can't pronounce the name of the movie. Even writing in the blog posts because I struggle so much it was hard to even copy it.
  2. The Buglet has inherited her father's love of puns. So many "maligcifent" jokes. (If you don't get this, try pronouncing both words out loud. If you are still struggling refer to point 1 and know I am sympathising).
My proud moment of the day was predicting the end of the movie (clearly to myself in my head). I never get this right. This was also made even sweeter because DB had told the Pixie what he thought was going to happen and he was wrong. He is usually really good at not only predicting them, but also telling me just to make me mad. When he told me afterwards he'd picked the ending too, he was severely squashed by a Pixie pointing out that he'd been wrong. I will be claiming bragging rights about this one for a very long time.

Flashback moments
I had been looking forward to this movie a little bit more than usual, because Sleeping Beauty was the first movie I ever saw at the cinemas. Part of the reason I remember so clearly is because at the time we were living on a sheep station and Mum had given us the day of school so we could drive to the closest town to see it. Unfortunately she got her days mixed up and it wasn't showing that day. The story ends happily, we ended up seeing it in Adelaide when we went on a holiday. We sat in the front row and I still remember clutching my cousin's hand very tightly during the scary bits.

The girls were more interested in their first cinema experiences.

Dad took Buglet and Tink to their first movie. I am pretty sure it was to see Lilo and Stitch. They were 3.5 and 2 at the time and he took them with two of my sisters who were 9 and 6. I was little bit anxious about his ability to cope. I spent a lot of time reminding Buglet to tell her aunt if she needed to go to the toilet, and reminding Miss 9 to take her before they went into the theatre. I must have forgotten to explain what the movies were because Buglet's first comment when she got home was "Mummy! Did you know there is a big tv at the movies?!". Oops. I guess you can't cover everything.

Pixie's first real movie experience was Ice Age 2. The big two were going to their end of term excursion with Guides so DB and I decided to take Pixie too. Half way through the movies there was  a very loud exclamation of "Mama! Mama! Mama! There are two eflants!!!". There was lots of laughter. She was so excited. She loved elephants, but apparently hadn't really been following the story line! The rest of the cinema had realised there was two elephants about 10 minutes into the movie; if not before the movie started from seeing previews.

Facebook link in
Just in case you missed the Pixie's quote of the day, here it is .....

Pixie *big eyes*: I think Buglet is sad.
Me: Why is she sad?
Pixie: Because she didn't have a birthday cake.
Me: She did have a birthday cake.
Pixie *even sadder eyes*: Not with her friends.
Me: You wanting cake is not the same thing as Buglet being sad.

And just to be very clear, she has had cake! Miss 9 is now Miss (almost) 21 and made her a super yummy cake which we had at my parents' place. She requested icecream cake for at home on her actual birthday. Buglet also made cupcakes to take to dancing to celebrate.



Never let it be said that we don't take cake or birthday celebrations seriously. Now if you will excuse me, I am off to reminisce some more about my memories of my children and my sisters where they were little and cute.



No comments:

Post a Comment